Thursday, May 03, 2007

Come Fly!

Aw shit Roger, you know it ain’t like that. You know it ain’t!

I don’t know anything. You don’t know anything either. I don’t know what to believe from you anymore.

Bullshit! You have no right to say that! None at all.

Sun sets slowly sinking sultry silken sluice into the corner of the snow-globe and the fear is in the hearts of the men. Fear of the darkness is binding fear of the anger, the argument and answers together, gripped they shout into themselves because they are right, and being right consoles them.

Roger had set out after Don because Don had promised he could show him the origin of the number 2, and Roger had believed him. It was a pretty good goal to set out for but it got lost in the trek across the country fighting buffalo and sleeping in close proximity. The best intentions are often lost when friends spend too much time too close, and we all know what that did to Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin… to think we could have landed men on the sun.

You know you did though, Don! You know you left the goddamn thing back at her place and now we’re stuck here in the fuckburning cold anf there’s not a damn thing good I can say about you.

You could say I’m a fella who’ll always share his whiskey.

But you never did! Remember back west when you gave your whole hipflask to that guy who said he’d been to Indonesia, and then it all all all went to that.

I didn’t say I always shared it with you.

Well then fuck you and this whole number 2 thing. I don’t need your knowledge, I don’t need what you can give me.

But he did so he died.



I’m so jumpy, I’m so restless. I feel like I’m about to put on a fancy suit and try to run across the country, and I guess I am.

Anyone who’s not on my team is missing out! I don’t have any enemies, but I sure don’t have enough friends, and I certainly have too many ideas. I like where we’re going, I like who I am, and I like you. I may not be much, I may not be old and wise, and I may not be able to be so close to you, but I’ll make y’all feel amazing.

All you’ll need is a lighter, a brand new jacket, a fistful of cash and a heart driven at the future. And we will all sing the Pogues.

So fill up your glasses, with brandy and wine,
And whatever it costs I will pay.
So be easy and free, when you’re drinking with me,
I’m a man you don’t meet everyday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peoria Johnson said...

"we thought that john berryman could fly.
but he didnt so he died.
she said "you're pretty good with words but words won't save your life"
and they didn't so he died. "

OR

"Let me go, boys
Let me go, boys
Let me go down in the mud
where the rivers all run dry."

-Full of bitters and blue ruin?

May 05, 2007 12:58 AM  
Blogger Cal Samson said...

Oh yes, I sleep like I've never been scared. Some nights.

I can't express how much I adore you quoting my favourite band. I must have listened to every one of their songs a hundred times, NO ONE can write lyrics like Craig Finn. Not since maybe Bruce Springsteen or Bob Dylan. I'd recommend hunting down some Lifter Puller - his earlier band.

Quite a lot, when I'm out with my rarely seen girl, I get the urge to yell "Think about what you've got, now compare it to what I've got, so whatd'ya think my girl wants?"
Or even "You're kissing like you already came."

I'm not full of bitters, I just get lonely sometimes, and words are saving my life so far.

Just to finish of the quotefest on a amusing real-life note, I actually do carry around with me pages ripped out from the bible of a motel nightstand.
You've made my day.

May 07, 2007 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Counter