Friday, January 05, 2007

In Old Blood

Tonight, it's just too much.

x: I heard you knew my wife, years ago.
o: Yes. We were friends for a time, back when we were young and idealistic.
x: In her home town?
o: Not really. Maybe in mine, I'm not sure.
x: Oh right. It's hard when you lose touch with old friends.
o: It's hard because it's so easy. It's much harder to stay with them.
x: Well, yes. I've been lucky.
o: We've all been lucky. At least once. How is she?
x: Who?
o: Your wife.
x: Oh, sorry, of course, elsewhere. She's fine.
o: Mm. Happy?
x: She complains, but I think deep down she couldn't be doing anything else, anywhere else.
o: No. We can only be doing what we are.
x: She asked after you though. Said she saw that article in the paper the other Monday.
o: And her thoughts?
x: Oh, she just said she saw it.
o: Ah. So she couldn't be here tonight?
x: No, I sometimes drag her to these things, but often it's hardly worth the effort.
o: Few things are.
x: She told me, if I saw you, though, to give you this.
o: Oh?
x: Yes. I don't know what it means, but I assume you do.
o: Yes. Yes of course. I have to go.

I have to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Counter