Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The children woke up, and they couldn't find them.

I'm a grown-up now. I'm a confident, self motivated, disciplined and dedicated worker who possesses critical communication and interpersonal skills. It would be nice if I didn't feel like such a little baby when it comes to finding a job.
I merely lack empirical proof to my conviction that everyone loves me. Hey, if they don't need it for David Hicks' conviction, why should I play by the rules?

For some time now I've been floating along a little golden pathway of good will where everyone, everything and every possible permutation of the world has gone my way. Seriously, anyone could see the road that I walked on was paved in gold. And then I looked down and thought about the larger symbolic implications of that song. I stand by my love of the selfish. It's working well for me as a life metaphor right now. Selfishness, meet Aleistair Crowley and Ayn Rand. Turnips, meet Selfishness. "Hi selfishness!" Never be lonely!

In Phaedra, and other similar classicist theatre and literature works, all you have to do is be an Amazonian prince, and casually mention that you love an Athenian princess, and it just happens! Like, that's all it takes for these characters. "I find my son attractive" is as treacherous and incestuous as "I fucked my son many times, wildly, with a paying audience". Apparently for the Ancient Greeks, intention is equivalent to crime. And wishes to love mean as much as a successful relationship. Is anyone else already out the door and rigging the sails to their Argo because of how sweet a deal this is!? When love is as easy as Athenian tragedy, I'll take the subsequent pain of the gods. Hell, we get the massive amounts of pain anyway, why not at least get an introductory bonus?
Don't worry Penelope, I'm coming! That is such a damn good metaphor for my life. I'm gonna go cut and paste some Homer quotes on my wall, and re-read Joyce. Remember the blog entries back in the days when I was first reading Joyce? I'll bet you do, they sure did roll like dice - insanely.

In Ptolemaen cosmology (oh, red-level bonus points if anyone starts a conversation with you at a party with THOSE three words) the earth was considered to be the centre of the universe, orbited by 9 rings upon the arcs of which planets traveled, and outside of which lay the Empyrean, or the realm of fire, in which God was assumed to live, and through the cracks in the outer sphere, fire shone through - ie: stars.
Aside from all the magical trinities involved there, and cool religious relevence to the number 9, and the impact that assumptions life that cosmology have had historically and culturally, the coolest thing I took away from my lecture on this was that well into the 16th century, God was believed to dwell in a realm of fire. And Satan, as we know, is the antithesis to god and was believed to dwell at the centre of the earth. Which, to grossly oversimplify, is why things on earth change instead of being God's "perfect" creation. Easy.
So where along the line did God lose his fire? When did earthy human-ridden satan snare himself the most powerful symbol mankind has ever had, the best of the metaphors, the top of what I'd loosely call the "awesome shit pile"?
Yes, that's right, at the same time when everything else went to shit - lately. Think about it people, and if anyone knows more on this, drop me a line.

Bashful are those who are forced to see how they really feel.
Shamed are the desperate who are forced to feel at all.
Weak are those who are ashamed to be bashful.
Stupid are those who are bashful to be shamed.

I'm suffering through a whole lot of confusion at myself lately. If anyone would like to tell me who I am, please leave a comment. I'll take pretty much anything on board.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could be mean and nasty n say, well anything really but I'm not like that. Ur a grown man yes that is correct. lol.. Someone else can use their descriptive language 4 you . . Cyas

March 07, 2007 1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe youre the spin-fire and the fatal image of success?

March 07, 2007 2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're a guy who's blog i stumbled across. Words and entries are manipulative and amorphous and not necessarily you. But because you know that, they are.

March 07, 2007 10:57 PM  
Blogger Pirateguybrush said...

Wow Elle...that was so insightful. Next time I have an identity crisis, I know where to turn.

March 08, 2007 11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I walk down the street pretending that my face is worn-weathered and beaten by the winds of generations of time. Nobody really notices it, but you can see the faint glimmering twinkle in my eyes that states, "I've done more than you could possibly do."

doktaluv, deciding not to be the grammar nazi today

March 22, 2007 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Counter