Saturday, April 23, 2005

CAN you feel the love tonight??? huh?

He's got the kind of house that makes me yawn,
From the effort of being jealous all the time.
He's got shitty silhouettes of Che Guevera on the wall,
and he plays the kind of music that don't rhyme.

Well, I like it. It amuses me. So how's everyone doing? Are you feeling ok tonight? I have a bit of a cold but other than that i'm fan-diddly-tastic. I've only got 8 pages to go until Gus #4 is done (finally) and you can see previews of it up here : http://gusandclover.tripod.com if you are good boys and girls. Actually I might forget to post them but go there anyway and read the other stuff.

I was quite content to waste away one of the last days of the holidays today, unfortunately that means i've got more to do in the next few before I have to go back to the damn place. Now there's an unappetising prospect. Oh well, only 20 weeks left.
The good bit about heading back to the daytime demon daycare village is that it means Clockwork Orange rehearsals start again and I get to see the set. It's gonna be sooo sexy. All this shiny black glass and chrome and things. Very snazzy. I'm playin Alex, which means i have a buttload of lines to learn and should be doing that now.

But I'm not. I'm typing. On a brand new keyboard too. Did you know that QWERTY keyboards were designed to impair typists? on purpose? becuase on old typewriters if you typed too fast the keys would get jammed and so they messed up all the letters just to stop that happening. Which means that since the invention of computers and electric typewriters, about 25-30 years ago, we've been carrying on with a tradition that negatively impacts upon us, just becuase we're too lazy to change it for the better. I think that's very exemplary of the human race.

I'm kind of sleepy but i'm gonna keep blogging anyway.
When i was over in Sydney last week i picked up a copy of REM's Automatic for the People on vinyl (I love how the shops over there actually stock things, and are large.) and it's quite a good listen. I recommended a listen to Nick Cave last night, but for this I would recommend a buy. You have to lisen twice to really get it, and around 4 times before it's fully matured.
Tr 1. Drive:
I like this song. I like it because its lyrics are a nice opener. Michael Stipe is a cryptic bastard but he's alluring in being that way. Like on Murmer (their best album), he's opening with a fairly friendly catchy song, but that goes deeper and hints at meaning that might not be intended. My favorite bit is the "ollie ollie ollie" break that he cuts too, simply because it confused me.
Tr 2. Try Not To Breathe.
This is a really dark track but it sets the tone for this side of the record. Probably one of my favorites on the album it's not so cryptic and starts to give more away, but nicely, and with some fantastic lines. As a lyricist myself I love "I have seen things that you will never see." It fits so well. I find myself adding the word 'me' on after "I want you to remember".... pause That's just me tho.
Tr 3. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite.
I don't know why tonite is spelt that way on the record. It confuses me. But as i've said before, that's what makes this record great. This song is the catchyest by far, but it doesn't let you in on the secrets, it just lays them out for you. I think I like this the best, and if i had to pick one song to hear repeatedly, this one really stands out over multiple hearings.
Tr 4. Everybody Hurts.
Everyone knows this song. it's so damn famous. It's nice to hear it in a context tho.
Tr 5. New Orleans Instrumental No. 1
I love random bits that break up records like this. I love the spoken sections on the Tenacious D CD, I love the Ostrich noises on Elliot Smith's last album. They just work for me. You can tune out while your working and concentrate without vocals.
Tr 6. Sweetness Follows
This song kills me. that's it. it's the perfect round off to this dark side of the record, examing paind and death and sorrow like all the other songs, but this time all in one. Plus the title and repeated line Sweetness Follows is really nice.
Tr 7. Monty Got a Raw Deal
This is the best song on side two. It's just power. And the "I don't owe you anything" affirmation as a chorus is really good. It sets a strong tone that I wish the next two tracks followed up on.
Tr 8. Ignoreland
My disappointing part of the record, this drags for too long without enough substance.
Tr 9. Star Me Kitten
This again didn't give me enough to go on. The themes are really good and the lyrics are in places nice but REM have fallen into their own successful trap of washy guitars and no drive.
Tr 10. Man on the Moon
This is really really famous as well. I haven't seen the movie, but I like all the Andy Kaufman references in this song and I think it's hook deserves to be so famous.
Tr 11. Nightswimming
This is so nice. And relaxing. and meaningful. and beautiful. and a tad boring. It's a great song, but don't listen to it too often. It needs a harder bit like Everybody Hurts has.
Tr 12. Find the River
Nice ending. Nice trail off feel, nice curtail. I would have rather the two sides been switched though. Finishing the whole record on Sweetness Follows would have been awesome.

And so there you have my music review of the day. Track by track recount of why you should go out and buy Automatic for the People RIGHT NOW. It'll probably be quite cheap, it's old and famous. On vinyl it was only 20. 15 on cd probs.

1 Comments:

Blogger shoes said...

without a doubt my favorite rem cd. good thoughts reagrding the songs though i find nightswimming to be one of my favorites.

April 23, 2005 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Counter