Saturday, April 23, 2005

The bleak nature of it all.

I suppose it's not really that bleak. But it doesn't look good for the human race. I found this quote in the paper this morning, and it scares me.

"Whilse I applaud the move for Sesame Street characters to encourage children to eat healthy, I hope that cookie monster will not be telling any children 'Me eat less cookies.' Apart from the use of 'me' instead of 'I' it's important for childrens programs to use correct grammar, and whenever we refer to something which can be counted, the correct word is 'fewer,' not 'less'"

Thank you. You made my day. Never mind all the other problems facing the youth of today. You've certainly hit the nail on the head with that one. Placing the fewer/less distinction in such high priority when there are other such monsters like "Active Kidz" and "Itz cool 2 be smart" threatening the grammatical education of our kids. WHO HONESTLY GIVES A DAMN.
I would like the publically shame everyone who's ever complained about incorrect grammar and the 'degradation' of our once pristine language. Screw the brits.

On the other hand, I just bought the recent Nick Cave double album Abatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus and it's really quite nice. Dark, but hell what did you expect from Nick Cave? Bunnies in waistcoats? He's still going after all these years and he's still making sexy sounds. Same with lots of other people. That impresses me. Go out and have a listen. Do the cheap 'listen in store' trick. Track 2 off Abatoir Blues is a highlight.

I just finished a high school art project on domesticity, and it was very bleak. I think it's becoming a bit of a phase. I mean, when you really think about it, our domestic attempts at individuality are really really stupid aren't they? If you don't live in a mudbrick houseboat your grandfather won off the Nazi's, chances are your house is just like everyone elses. How dull. My art project was all blue, and shades of blue and all that rubbish. I was quite happy with it. Not so happy with the realisation that my neighbourhood is absurdly cliche. You think Desperate Housewives is made up? not bloody likely. it's either that, or the slum. hardly inspiring.

I obviously need lightening up. I'm going to go watch Not another teen movie now. That'll probably make me sarcastic and artsy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Counter